Church of San Jacopo in Acquaviva

Church of San JacopoChurch of San JacopoThe Church of San Jacopo in Acquaviva stands exposed to the wind and the sea, next to the entrance to the Naval Academy in the district of San Jacopo. The church we see today dates from the 19th century but its origins go back to the 12th century.

The church's location right next to the sea meant that it used to be a stopping place for pilgrims on their way to Santiago di Compostela.

In its long history it has hosted two popes, and for a while in the 16th century it was given to the Greek United church while the community awaited their own church in Via della Madonna.

Inside the church of San Jacopo there are various works of art, including two 14th-century paintings of Saint Lawrence and Saint William of Aquitaine from the Florentine school; two 18th-century works by the Florentine artist Alessandro Gherardi depicting "Repose in Egypt" and "Christ Deposed". To the left of the church, set back in a niche, is a monument to Peter Leopold, the Austrian ruler, Duke of Tuscany from 1765 to 1790, by Domenico Andrea Pelliccia dated 1776.

Piazza San Jacopo 12,
LIVORNO
tel. +(39) 0586 800590, email: sanjacopoinacquaviva@gmail.com
Mass: weekdays 8.30am and 6pm (winter) 7pm (summer); Sundays and holidays 8am, 9.30am, 11am, 12.15pm (not in summer), 6pm (winter) 7pm (summer)

PARKING: There is a free car park (limited stay) in front of the church, and free street parking on Viale Italia and surrounding streets.

BUSES: No. 1 stops here

Contact us

User login