Livorno’s original cathedral (or Duomo), in Piazza Grande, was designed by Alessandro Pieroni and built by Cantagallina. It was completed in 1606, dedicated to St Francis of Assisi. Sadly, the original building was completely destroyed by bombings in 1943. The modern-day reconstruction was completed in 1952 and is a reproduction of the original.
This rare example of neo-Gothic architecture in Livorno bears witness to the multi-cultural climate that marked the city's history. The Dutch-German Church - Chiesa della Congregazione Olandese Alemanna (designed by Dario Giacomelli and built between1862-64), lying on the Scali degli Olandesi between Piazza Cavour and Piazza della Repubblica, has recently undergone structural restoration work in the first phase of a longterm project to fully restore the building.
Originally dedicated to Saint Andrew by the Scottish Presbyterian community living in Livorno in the 19th century, the church now belongs to the Italian Waldensian church (Valdese in Italian), a Methodist related Protestant church. The building dates from the mid-19th century and was only allowed by the Italian Catholic church on the condition that it did not look like a church - hence its rather unusual appearance. It was designed by the Scottish architect, Rumball, and reflects the neo-Gothic taste that was fashionable at the time in Scotland.
The Church of Saint George was completed in 1844 for the Anglican community living in Livorno at that time. It was designed by local architect Angiolo Della Valle in the neo-Classical style. Today it belongs to the Misericordia of Livorno and is now often used for Orthodox mass serving the local Romanian population.
Via Verdi, (in the Misericordia grounds, opposite the English Cemetery).
In the historic Venezia quarter, just across from Piazza Luogo Pio (now a large car park) in Piazza Anita Garibaldi is San Ferdinando, built for the Trinity Fathers who came to Livorno from France in 1653. The building was consacrated in 1717. The church displays a number of different architectural styles and contains some fine marble sculptures by Giovanni Baratta (1670-1747) (liberated slaves). It is sometimes used as a venue for concerts of classical music and choirs.
Piazza Anita Garibaldi 1, tel. +(39) 0586 888541
Via della Madonna. The Armenian community was already quite numerous in Livorno in the early 17th century and became well-integrated with the local community. The facade of their church is the most tangible remaining testimony of their presence in the city, while the actual church is no longer in use. It was built by Giovanni del Fantasia and financed by a group of Armenian merchants.
The Church of San Jacopo in Acquaviva stands exposed to the wind and the sea, next to the entrance to the Naval Academy in the district of San Jacopo. The church we see today dates from the 19th century but its origins go back to the 12th century.
The church's location right next to the sea meant that it used to be a stopping place for pilgrims on their way to Santiago di Compostela.
The church was built in 1837 by order of Leopoldo II, at the time when the nearby seminary was constructed. An earlier and smaller church dedicated to Sant'Andrea had been built near here, on the edge of a cemetery, in the early 19th century following an epidemic of yellow fever in Livorno.
Dedicated to Saint Catherine, but also know as the church of the Domenicani after the Domenican friars who founded it, this uncompleted church stands in Piazza dei Domenicani in the Venezia district of Livorno. It was founded in 1720 and inaugurated in 1755. It was designed by Giovanni del Fantasia who had to abandon the work in order to supervise the building of the Chapel dedicated to the Madonna in the Sanctuary of Montenero. Its octagonal design is unusual, and the recently-restored interior with its seven large chapels is well worth a look.