In 2008, the Funicular Railway in Montenero, Livorno, celebrated its 100th birthday.
Inaugurated on 19th August 1908, itwas the first electric railway of its kind in Italy. Until 1963, it represented the main means of transport for Montenero, until the building of the panoramic road leading directly to the Sanctuary.
There are two trains running up and down the 656m track, each one capable of carrying 40 passengers. They can transport up to 580 people per hour.
One of the most interesting and innovative aspects of Montenero's funicular railway is that it runs on solar power, the panels having been installed in 2000.
How to get here: LAM Rossa bus from the station or city centre
Related article: South to Montenero - the sanctuary on the hill