The small municipality of Bibbona is located on the coast, about 40km south of Livorno. It has a population of about 3000 and covers an area of 65 sq km.
The main village of Bibbona - a medieval hamlet - is located a few kilometres inland, while the popular resort of Marina di Bibbona with its sandy beaches attracts numerous visitors in the summer months, especially from northern Europe. It centres around an 18th-century fort built by the Lorraine family to protect the area from attacks from the sea. The village called La California (originally a farm which was given this name by an Italian who had lived in the US) is also found in this municipality.
Places of interest
- Forte di Marina di Bibbona - the 18th-century fort
- Palazzo del Comune Vecchio - old town hall in Bibbona, with a decorated facade.
- Pieve di Sant'Ilario - 14th-century church in Bibbona, containing 14th and 15th-century sculptures
- Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pietà - Renaissance church outside the walls of Bibbona
- Macchia della Magona - natural forestland with nature walks.