The municipality of Castagneto Carducci is situated south of Livorno, in the heart of what is known as the Livornese Maremma, and on the Costa degli Etruschi. The coastline is low-lying and embraces the important nature reserve of Bolgheri, run by the WWF. Further inland the terrain is hilly. The municipality has around 8500 inhabitants and a surface area of 142 sq km.
The two main villages in the municipality are Castagneto Carducci and Bolgheri, both in the heart of the internationally famous vineyards, including the estates of Antinori, Ornellaia, Tenuta San Guido and Michele Satta. Both villages are associated with the 19th-20th century Italian Nobel-prize winning poet Giosué Carducci who spent his youth in the area. On the coast lie the popular seaside resorts of Donoratico and Marina di Castagneto.
Places of Interest:
- Propositure di San Lorenzo (Castagneto Carducci), church with Medieval origins, much restored in the early 20th century.
- Church of the Santissimo Crocifisso: (Castagneto Carducci), founded in the 16th century, the building was remodelled in 1912 in the neogothic style.
- Church of the Madonna del Carmine (Castagneto Carducci).
- Viale dei Cipressi: the long, straight cypress-lined avenue that leads to Bolgheri, made famous by Italian Nobel Prize-winning poet Giosuè Carducci in his poem Davanti San Guido.
- Bolgheri Castle: of medieval origins, the castle stands at the end of the Viale dei Cipressi, at the entrance to the village of Bolgheri.
- Church of Saints Giacomo and Cristoforo (Bolgheri): one of the oldest buildings in the area, although it was restored in 1912.
- Church of San Sebastiano (Bolgheri): built at the beginning of the 20th century by the Della Gherardesca counts, for their burials.
- Church of Sant'Antonio (Bolgheri): this 17th century church stands on the Viale dei Cipressi.
- Oratorio di San Guido (Bolgheri): dating back to the 1700s, the oratory stands at the beginning of the Viale dei Cipressi, close to an obelisk commemorating Giosuè Carducci.
- Castello di Donoratico (Donoratico)
- Castello di Castiglioncello di Bolgheri: dating from the 8th century, the castle can only be visited once a year, on 16th July. The cellars were used to produce the very first Sassicaia wine.
- Villa Margherita (Marina di Castagneto): constructed by the Della Gherardesca counts in the early 1900s.
- Cavallino Matto (Donoratico) : popular children's amusement park in pleasant pinewood.
To see images of the Castagneto Carducci municipality, click here