The Church of San Benedetto stands at one end of Piazza XX Settembre, the square that used to be the site of Livorno's well-known American market (removed in August2009). The square was formerly known as Piazza San Benedetto, like the church, and its creation was in direct relation to the building of the church in the early 19th century. The church was designed by Gaspero Pampaloni (who also designed the Teatro San Marco in the Venezia district, the Cathedral bell tower, and the Cimitero Comunale dei Lupi with Riccardo Calocchieri) and built in the neo-Classical style in 1817-19. The facade features an Ionic portico of eight columns.
The interior, with its Greek cross plan, contains several important works of art by local artists from the early 1800s. These include four stucco angels by Paolo Emilio Demi (in the corbels of the dome), and a painting representing St Carlo Borommeo administering Holy Communion to the Plague Stricken by the young Tommaso Gazzarini.
Pietro Mascagni used to practice the organ here when he was young.
Opening times: weekdays 4-7pm; Sundays and holidays 10am-12pm and 4-7pm
Tel. +(39) 0586 893126