The VERTIGO theatre group has recently moved to brand new premises in Via del Pallone, still in the heart of Livorno's Venezia district. It is run by actors and teachers Marco Conte and Mariana Kellond. Besides its varied programme of theatrical events, it also offers courses in singing, acting, and improvisation, including a course in English.
Cinema and theatre
Originally one of Livorno's largest cinemas which opened in 1952 in a prime location on Via Grande, in 2012 a large part of La Gran Guardia was turned into a retail store, while a new down-sized, two-screen cinema was reopened in the rear part of the building with entrance in Via del Giglio. Each small cinema has a capacity of around 150.
Founded in 1957 as part of the Palazzo del Portuale building opposite the old port, the Cinema Quattro Mori is the only wholly surviving independent cinema in the centre of Livorno. It is the city's largest cinema, with a capacity of over 650, and is also home to the Amici del Cinema film club. It also hosts occasional theatrical events.
From July to early September the film programme transfers to the open air cinema in Villa Fabbricotti.