The municipality (or comune) of Collesalvetti is situated inland, in the far north-east corner of Livorno Province. It has about 16,500 inhabitants and extends over an area of 109 sq km.
The terrain is mainly flat, with some hilly land to the south. Agriculture is quite well developed, but there are also large areas of industrial activity in Stagno and Guasticce, two small centres in the comune, including the Vespucci Interport and the Il Faldo Autoparco - the largest area for the storing of new cars in Europe -, as well as the Agip Refinery (in Stagno).
The main town of Collesalvetti grew up around a Medici farmstead that still exists today. Other centres in the municipality are Stagno, Vicarello, Nugola, Guasticce, Parrana San Martino, Parrana San Giusto, Castell'Anselmo, Colognole, Mortaiolo, Torretta, Crocino, Biscottino and Tanna.
Places of Interest
- The 15th-century Medici Villa at Collesalvetti
- Villa Carmignani (near Poggio Pallone, Collesalvetti)
- Villa Celesia (Collesalvetti)
- Villa Traxler (Nugola)
- Monument to the Fallen (Collesalvetti)
- Medici bridge over the river Tora
- Leopoldian Aqueduct in the Livornese Hills
- Hermitage at Sambuca
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta e San Lorenzo (Castell'Anselmo)
- Church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta (Collesalvetti)
- Church of Santi Pietro e Paolo (Collesalvetti)
- Church of Santi Cosma e Damiano (Nugola)
- Church of San Jacopo (Vicarello)