Districts of Livorno

Antignano

Antignano - Medici bastions

Antignano lies to the south of Livorno and has ancient origins, its name appearing in documents dating from 1171. The village is probably even older, and for many centuries was isolated from Livorno, finally getting a road connection in the 19th century.

Ardenza

Ardenza - the Casini di Ardenza Ardenza - the Casini di Ardenza The village of Ardenza grew up gradually in the countryside to the south of Livorno at the beginning of the 19th century. Although the village was sparsely populated, it already had its own church, San Simone, which was built in 1844.

Benci Centro (Ovo Sodo)

The Central Food Market in Livorno's Benci district The Central Food Market in Livorno's Benci district Benci Centro - known more simply as il Centro - was the new name given to this central part of Livorno by town planners to replace its old title - Rione del Mercato -, which is still sometimes used today. This central area of Livorno also has a nickname – Ovo Sodo (boiled egg) – because of the yellow and white jerseys worn by the rowing team. The name was adopted as the title of a film set in Livorno directed by the Livornese Paolo Virzì in 1997.

Collinaia

Collinaia%20(800x600).jpgThe district of Collinaia is a semi-rural area bordering on the Leccia and Scopaia districts to the east of Livorno. It comprises the public park that surrounds the Villa Corridi, once owned by the Corridi family who transformed the area of forest into agricultural land.

Colline

The Colline district of Livorno takes its name from the old Porta alle Colline, the Livorno customs gate which stood where Via Gramsci finishes today, near the hospital. Until the early 1900s this gateway was known in Livorno as the Porta ai Sughi because it was here, against the walls built by the Lorraines, that the local farms used to deposit their manure to be used later during the sowing season.

Fabbricotti

Villa Fabbricotti park and library

Villa Fabbricotti park and library
 

Just to the south of the centre of Livorno, the Fabbricotti district was once an area of gardens and quiet villas hidden behind high walls and woodland. It was transformed after 1946 into a modern residential district which grew up on land ceded by the Fabbricotti family to the local council.

Fiorentina

Apartment building in the Fiorentina district of Livorno Apartment building in the Fiorentina district of Livorno Four districts grew up around the ancient district of Fiorentina which takes its name from the gateway of the same name, built in 1837 by Grand Duke Leopold II. The road that leads from this gateway – the Via Provinciale Pisana – is the fulcrum of a lively area with a wealth of shops and businesses. When first laid out in the 1930s it was the only direct link with Pisa.

Magenta and Origine

Teatro Goldoni, in the Magenta & Origine district of Livorno Teatro Goldoni, in the Magenta & Origine district of Livorno

The central Magenta district extends from the former Piazza Magenta (now Piazza della Vittoria) to Piazza Cavour and the Cisternone. From the 1700s much of this area was taken up by villas and houses with gardens and farmland, gradually ceded to the local council for the building of schools, streets and buildings for common public use. The most lively part of the district has always been that of the Origine, a district which grew up in the second half of the 19th century.

Montenero

Funicular railway in Montenero Funicular railway in Montenero Situated on a hill to the south of Livorno, Montenero has been a destination for pilgrims since 1345, because of its Sanctuary dedicated to Santa Maria delle Grazie, also known as the Madonna di Montenero. Opposite the church is the ‘temple of fame’, closed in by a wrought iron gate, where several local figures are buried or remembered. These include the composer Pietro Mascagni, and artists Giovanni Fattori and Amedeo Modigliani. The Madonna delle Grazie is the Patron of Tuscany, but well-known throughout Italy.