Livorno continues its tribute to poet Giorgio Caproni in this centenary year of his birth with a series of walks around the city taking in places mentioned in Caproni's poems. The itinerary is marked by nine 'totems' designed by Anna Laura Bachini, each of which bears the poem that mentions the site on which it stands.
These are the sites of the Caproni panels around Livorno:
1. Piazza della Repubblica (Il Seme del Piangere)
2. Corso Amedeo/Via dell'Origine (L'Uscita Mattutina)
3. Sant'Andrea (Eppure...)
4. Via Palestro/Piazza Due Giugno (Nè Ombra nè Sospetto)
5. Mercato Centrale (Il Becolino)
6. Dogana d'Acqua/Scali del Pontino (Larghetto)
7. 'I Fossi' - the canals of the Venezia district (Barbaglio)
8. The Port (La Stanza)
9. Terrazza Mascagni (Eppure)
The walk can be covered on your own and takes in areas of Livorno that you otherwise probably wouldn't discover. The furthest point is the last one, the Terrazza Mascagni, which you can also reach on the number 1 bus!
A guide dedicated to Caproni's life in Livorno, Genoa and Roma has been created especially for this centenary year by Anna Laura Bachini as part of her L'AltraGuida series. Entitled Le Città e le Radici di Giorgio Caproni, it costs 10 euros and is available from all good book sellers in Italy.
To see the Caproni panels on a map, click here
Luca Dal Canto Film wins Best Actor Prize at Locri Film Festival (for film dedicated to Giorgio Caproni)