Livorno’s original cathedral (or Duomo), in Piazza Grande, was designed by Alessandro Pieroni and built by Cantagallina. It was completed in 1606, dedicated to St Francis of Assisi (San Francesco).
This rare example of neo-Gothic architecture in Livorno bears witness to the multi-cultural climate that marked the city's history.
The Church of Saint George (San Giorgio) was completed in 1844 for the Anglican community who were an important part of merchant community in
The Church of San Benedetto stands at one end of Piazza XX Settembre, the square that used to be the site of Livorno's well-known American market (removed in August2009). The square was formerly known as Piazza San Benedetto, like the church, and its creation was in direct relation to the building of the church in the early 19th century.
In the historic Venezia quarter, just across from Piazza Luogo Pio in Piazza Anita Garibaldi is San Ferdinando, one of Livorno's oldest and most interesting churches.
Via della Madonna. The Armenian community was already quite numerous in Livorno in the early 17th century and became well-integrated with the local community.
The Church of Sant'Andrea Apostolo stands opposite the Piazza del Cisternone, opposite the huge neo-Doric facade of the Cisternone, the