If you are in any doubt about the health benefits of olive oil, read on!
The ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all believed that olive oil gave them strength and youth. Nowadays we know that they were on the right track.
Here are some of the most important properties of olive oil:
- Extra virgin olive oil is the most digestible of the edible fats
- It helps to assimilate vitamins A, D and K
- It contains essential acids that cannot be produced by our bodies
- It slows down the ageing process
- It helps bile, liver and intestinal functions
- It offers protection agains heart disease by controlling LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol levels while raising HDL (the ‘good’ cholesterol) levels.
- It has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis
- It activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones more naturally than prescribed medicines and therefore lowers the incidence of gallstones
- It is also suggested that consumption of olive oil can offer benefits in terms of colon cancer prevention and may reduce the risk of breast cancer
- It can reduce cholesterol levels