In 2013 Livorno's traditional rowing teams were re-organised, several of them being brought together under new names. There are now eight teams: four representing the city quarters that lie within the historic pentagon-shaped city designed by Buontalenti - Venezia, Pontino, Benci Centro and Borgo Cappuccini.
As far as the rowing competitions are concerned, the team continues to be given its familiar Ovo Sodo ('boiled egg') nickname by rowers and fans alike.
The Sezione Nautica Benci Centro rowing club has won the Coppa Barontini 4 times with the ten-man boat - in 1987, 1996, 2006 and 2007, the Coppa Risiatori 3 times with the ten-man boat – in 1986, 1992 and 2008, and the Palio Marinaro an astonishing 7 times with the ten man boat – in 1984/1987/1992/1995/ 1996/2006 and 2007. They were also the winners of the Palio in 2008.
When the Orlando Shipyard was opened in 1865 on the site of the San Rocco Lazzaretto, the district underwent considerable social changes. Many hundreds of shipyard workers lived here and their marine skills were developed to produce many excellent rowers, port pilots, fishermen, swimmers and boat builders.
The Fabbricotti rowing club (now part of the San Jacopo-Fabbricotti team) participated in the minor Palio races from 1954 under the name of Rione del Fanale. After a long break the team made a comeback in 1973. Today’s Sezione Nautica Fabbricotti was founded in 1978 when the four-man boat came first in the Palio Marinaro and was promoted to the 10-man race for the first time ever.
The Magenta rowing team first took part in the Palio Marinaro in 1954 with the Origine team in four-men boats. It was later renamed Magenta -Origine and has obtained several good placings.