The district of Salviano dates from the time of the Roman colonisation of the Pisan territory in the second century BC. Its church, dedicated to San Martino, was built in 1078 on the road that joined Porto Pisano to the Via Emilia Scauri. It still preserves the original apse.
The area shows characteristics typical of zones dedicated to agriculture which flourished during the Roman period and later in the Middle Ages. Nowadays, many small industries have grown up, as well as warehouses and storerooms, and the area has seen marked development with the construction of the Leccia housing estate, named after the farm which used to occupy this area. More recent growth has resulted in the district of La Scopaia, and another development, known as Salviano II, is currently being completed (2014).