BUS LAM ROSSA
Discover the neighbourhoods of Ardenza, Antignano and Montenero
- Like the LAM BLU, this route also starts at Livorno Railway Station, but you can also pick it up in the city centre. It takes a longer route to get from the station to Piazza della Repubblica (SEE ROUTE MAP BELOW).
- Instead of heading straight down Viale Carducci, it turns right down Via Lunardi through the district of Sorgenti and then into Via Garibaldi and the Fiorentina district, past Piazza Garibaldi and the Scali delle Cantine (opposite the Fortezza Nuova) and into Piazza della Repubblica.
- It then heads down Via Grande into Piazza Grande, turning left alongside the Duomo (cathedral) and up Via Cairoli, continuing along this central thoroughfare through Piazza Cavour (get off here for the Old English Cemetery), Via Magenta, Corso Amedeo, Piazza Attias, Via Marradi (a popular shopping area), past Villa Fabbricotti and out of town towards Ardenza Terra.
- Here the route divides, one bus continuing to Antignano via the inland road through the old village of Antignano and ending its route at the same place as the LAM Blu bus (Miramare, next to the Baracchina Azzurra bar).
- The other route (with Montenero written on the front) instead heads up to the hillside village of Montenero, its final stop in Piazza delle Carrozze. From here you can get the funicular railway up to the top of the hill for fantastic views over Livorno and along the coast and the fascinating Santuario.
In Montenero, not far from Piazza delle Carrozze, you might also like to seek out the old Villa Dupouy where George Byron stayed. Follow this link for more information.
The LAM ROSSA to Montenero departs from the train station every 30 minutes.
It takes 40 minutes to cover the whole journey from the station to Piazza delle Carrozze (Montenero). From Via Grande it takes just 25 minutes. The Funicular railway journey takes just a few minutes and the service runs to connect with bus arrivals throughout the day.
For unlimited travel on the local buses in Livorno, you can get a Livorno Card (€3 for oneday) from the Tourist Information Office in Via Pieroni, situated in the building opposite the town hall, near the cruise shuttle bus stop. Also available at the station newsagent.
The LAM BLU route
See Livorno by local bus
Get around Livorno with a Livorno Card